Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Moirang Journey...

Through Moirang roads, I discovered Manipur in a new dimension. INA or Indian National Army led by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose hoisted the Indian flag in 1944 much before Indian Independence.
Netaji is a much celebrated figure in this land. Each year this day is marked with respect and glory in Manipur.

Apart from Indian Independence, Moirang has a spectacular lake called "Loktak Lake". This lake is huge and has numerous floating circular wreath like islands all over. I was awestruck by this view from flight above. Though at eye level it is difficult to capture the floating ring island. 
Later that day, I visited Bijangarea Handloom Cluster situated in a serene town called Churchandpur . The textiles and extra weft work are woven with intricacy and impeccable effort. I was Also told that Indian boxer Mary Kom belonged to  Churchandpur.

I am sharing few extra weft fabrics hand woven in Bijangarea Cluster.



After a whirlwind tour I returned to Imphal, and visited Ima market again. Came across beautiful, neat work of Jamdani/ extra weft textiles which I couldn't resist to buy.







I returned to Calcutta with lots of goodies like dried fish, fabrics, woolen shawls for an entire year supply. #fondhand

No comments:

Post a Comment